Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ice Ice Baby

I know I have a lot to catch up on, but lets start with the ice.  After returning from Utah on saturday night, a massive snow storm came through Atlanta on Sunday night.  Great news, right?  Snow day!! Another day to lounge and prolong the inevitable.  It was beautiful.  I think I heard we got 6 inches?  My roommates and I stared out the window, went on walks, took pictures, and then enjoyed the pallette stress-free.   Once it got dark and we realized none of it had melted, we checked our emails to see if work and school were cancelled again. Yessssiiireeee. 

Tuesday the stir-craziness began to set in.  I got antsy and couldn't concentrate on anything related to school.  Luckily Treehouse was open because I wasn't getting my car out without 4 wheel drive.  Tuesday the snow began to melt a little but there was also freezing rain, and overnight everything turned into a solid block of ice.  Here's some pics of the streets in my neighorhood. That stuff is SLICK!




Wednesday brought yet another day off of school and work.  I know, I know, you are thinking how jealous you are if you don't live in Atlanta.  But honestly, by Wednesday, I was losing my mind.  Normally days off are awesome, but at least on a typical day off you can get out of the house and have normal human interactions.  I felt trapped.  So to prevent the impending mental breakdown, I decided to try to drive to work.  After sliding down a side road, I thought I had made a mistake, but the interstates had a few lanes cleared and were fine.  At this point I hadn't been to work in 2 weeks, and had only worked 3 days in over 3 weeks.  I needed a purpose.  Structure.  People.  Anything.  I know it sounds crazy, and I was kicking myself as I sat in the cubicle all day today, but at the time, I had to get out.

Thursday and Friday school was cancelled, but work issued the "come if you can" statement.  I went in for half days and enjoyed the simple freedom of driving around!

I'll post snow pictures and videos next, with exciting stories of sledding, snowmen, and doughnuts in the Publix parking lot!

1 comment:

Fran Pierce said...

You are so much like your Mom...it's scary! A little "snowed-in" goes a long way! Gotta be around people!
Love you!!!