Friday, November 12, 2010

Starbucks and God


How in the world my brain connected Starbucks and God is beyond me.  Maybe because they are the coffee gods and their drinks produce wisdom and insight.  And youth, happiness, and power apparently.  But I do seem to be churning out analogies left and right these days, so here goes:

This morning on the way to work I'm sipping on my newest love, the Toffee Mocha Latte. I'm cradling that thing like my firstborn. I think I dreamed about it the night before.  I've doctored it appropriately, made sure it's the right temperature, and I'm ready to taste sheer satisfaction.

I have about a 15 minute drive from Starbucks to work, including lots of back roads and turns. So to prevent any of my precious gold from spilling out on the bumpy ride, I hold my holiday cup in my hand with a death grip.  Every time I turn a corner, put on brakes, or hit a pothole, I am holding that thing in the air and squeezing it tight. While the car is going for a heck of a ride, my coffee is safe and sound.

As I protected my prized possession from the outside world, I pictured God holding and protecting me.  He looks at us as pure gold.  He paid for us with His life.  He's holding us in His hand with a death grip.  He sees the bumps and turns coming, and He squeezes us higher and tighter.  We may be sloshed around a bit, but we never spill out.  We are secure in His hand.  When we feel the bumps, we look to God and ask what He is up to and why life is so hard.  But we don't see the whole picture.  All the while He has been holding us, never allowing us to be completely spilled, broken, or hurt.


"We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed." 

2 comments:

Fran Pierce said...

Thank you for that, Beth. I'll never see Starbuck's again that I don't think about your analogy!
Love you!!!
Mom

Tricia said...

1. I have been checking for a new post more frequently than I am willing to admit. Thank you for FINALLY making it happen!

2. I am pretty bummed your mom beat me to a post.

3. I thought you were headed somewhere different. Like how we hold onto things in our lives so tightly and we should give them to Him. Anyway, I like your way so much better! So much more about Him!