Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Golden Birthday

That's right...today's my birthday! 27 on the 27th. Pretty sure that makes this my golden birthday. Hoping the day includes something along these lines:



An eat-with-your-hands and smash it all over your face kinda day!

Birthdays are so weird...its the only day of the year you can be totally narcissistic and it be acceptable. Some people like to go around announcing it's their special day to strangers, and others like to stay totally under the radar. I think I fall somewhere in the middle (although I am doing a blog post about it...hmmm), but in my head, I'm throwing a party every minute of the day. Point in case, as I'm typing, I'm celebrating me with this:


I don't even drink coffee. But it seemed fitting to get that on your birthday, right? And pumpkin pancakes, proving this is the best time of year to have a birthday.

This weekend in class we talked about our sense of entitlement. Part of our paper involves uncovering how this is most evident in me, and on my birthday, it could not be more clear. I have expectations. And not just on my birthday. Expectations of how others should treat me, respect me, and cater to me. Expectations of God. How He should respond to me, speak to me, how my life should go. I think people and God owe me. Not consciously, of course, but in the way I act and relate. In the way I get upset when people don't treat me as I expect. When things they do for me aren't good enough. Or when life gets rough and I shake my fists at God.

I want God's presence (and redemption) and my friends' presence to be enough. I'm praying God changes my spirit of entitlement to a spirit of thankfulness and gratefulness! Today I want to celebrate how much I am loved, and be thankful for my friends and family and the way they show me their love! Thankful for the way they support me and they way they give of themselves to me! I love yall!

4 comments:

Fran Pierce said...

Well said! And never doubt that you ARE loved very much!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

MB-Thanks for this blog post--a message that is well received by me today. Casey
ps hope you get a little ice cream with that cake!

Miller said...

Pumpkin pancakes - yum! I hope every minute of your birthday has been fun=)

Tricia said...

I shoulda read this yesterday... a perfect opportunity to smash cake in your face! But who would wanna waste Caramel Cake from Piece of Cake!?!?!