Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rubber Neckin'


This weekend I drove up to the outlet mall and sat in traffic on 400 for multiple wrecks.  Frustrating.  But the worst part was when I finally got to the first wreck, I realized that it was nothing life-threatening and the cars were actually on the side of the road.  So why the traffic jam for 30 minutes??  Rubber neckers.  Everybody craning their necks, nearly rear-ending the car ahead of them just to get a glimpse of the destruction, only to declare "wowww, that looks rough."  And I admit, I took a peek.  And did I pull over to help?  Nope.  I was pressed for time.  Shopping, UGA game...you understand.

And then it occurred to me that I am a rubber necker in real life too.  When I see a wreck happening in someone's life, I want to know all the details.  Get a good stare, examine the situation, and then wince my face and say, "Yikes! Glad that's not me!!"  But help?  Nah...somebody with training should help.  Or somebody who knows them better.  I'd just be in the way.  Someone's probably already beat me to it anyway. 

I don't have to be a doctor or a pastor or an experienced counselor to help someone.  We have been equipped with the Holy Spirit.  We have everything we need to get involved in people's lives, to listen, support, encourage, and connect with each other.  And you never know when you're going to be the one on the side of the road.  I sure as heck don't want anybody gawking at me and not stopping to help. 

4 comments:

Fran Pierce said...

Good way to start my morning!! Thanks! (Ever considered writing for a living??)
Mom

Unknown said...

Love this!
-Mary

Anna said...

I agree with Frannie. :)

Anna said...

I agree with Frannie. :)